A New Summer Top

I finished this sleeveless summer top yesterday.  This is Butterick Pattern #5644,
that I made from some border print rayon purchased from Gorgeous Fabrics (www.gorgeousfabrics.com).  It has an empire waist, which is flattering on just about any body type.  It was a quick and simple pattern that went together smoothly.  The pattern calls for bias tape to finish the neckline and armholes.  I happened to have some tencel fabric that was the same color as the border of this rayon, so I cut my own bias tape.

If you need some instruction on how to make bias tape, here’s a good blog to check out: http://www.coletterie.com/fabric-haberdashery/tutorial-how-to-make-bias-tape.

This was a new pattern for me.  As you probably know, most commercial sewing patterns today come with multiple sizes in the envelope.  Usually, they are printed on the same tissue paper, with cutting, marking, and sewing lines for each different size.  Since I am pretty frugal when it comes to sewing, I very seldom cut the size I need from the tissue paper.  I mean, what if I need to make a different size, for me or for someone else?  (I’m always planning on dropping a few pounds…)  I buy pattern tissue paper, which is available in several different weights and widths, and trace the size I need from the original.

When doing this, it is important to trace the correct lines and markings.  In fact, it is so important to the success of your project, that I would suggest that beginning sewers NOT try this method.  Better to buy your patterns when Hancocks or Jo-ann Fabrics is running a great deal and just cut the size you need than take a chance on messing up your sewing project and wasting even more money and time!  But if you decide to trace your pattern, check it and then re-check it, and then re-check it again, before you cut your fabric.

The lines of this top were so straightforward and simple that I decided to try another method of saving the other sizes on my pattern tissue.  I needed the smallest size in the envelope, which included large, x-large, and xx-large.  

So I folded the straight lines on the tissue along the correct size, and for the curved lines of the sleeve and neck edge, I slashed into the tissue to the correct line, and then folded.  I didn’t use any tape to hold down the folds, because I wanted to be able to press out the folds to use a bigger size if I ever needed to.  It worked out very well, and I would use this method again with a pattern that has only a few pieces, and simple lines.

I have two more projects to finish, and then I’ll be ready for our upcoming vacation!  For now, I just need to make a date with my hubby so I can wear my new top!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s